Who does not like fries? Everyone likes fries and if you are looking for a quick snack, or need to bring a side dish to an event or gathering, with my recipe you can spice up the popular but regular side of fries with some peri peri flavours and elevate it to another level!
- Fries (frozen ones are perfectly fine, but if you want to make fresh ones from scratch you can)
- Oil (sunflower or peanut oil if possible)
- Grated Cheese
- Bell Peppers (colours of your choice)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 4 – 5 teaspoons of Paprika
- 2 teaspoons of Celery Salt
- 2 teaspoons of Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper (can add more if you want more heat)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of Ground Cardamom (this can be quite strong with its flavour so adjust accordingly)
- 2 teaspoons of Ginger Powder
- 2 teaspoons of Fennel Powder
- With a pestle and mortar if you have one, if not just use a bowl, mix and grind the salt, celery salt, dried oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground cardamom, ginger powder, fennel powder, until you get a nice orange powder.
- Next you need to dice your peppers ready for when your fries are done, you can even do this while you are frying to save as much time if you are in a hurry.
- Then heat the oil in your fryer or deep pan and fry your fries until they just start to get slightly brown.
- Once your fries are done, put them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil, and cover the fries in some of the spice mix, and toss the fries together so that they are evenly coated.
- Finally, serve on a plate, sprinkle a good amount of cheese and the diced peppers and you are ready to enjoy them!
With just a few little additions we have taken a normal side and elevated it to give it more presence and flavour, and it will surprise your friends and family when they find out you made your own spice mix just for fries. The great thing too is that this spice mix will last so you can keep it for future occasions!
See you soon!