Everyone likes a good burger, and everyone likes it to be made fast. If you are a vegetarian though however, you may be fed up of having the standard veggie burger patty, so if you want to change things up quickly, look no further than this halloumi and mushroom burger recipe, an ultimate form of comfort food. Let us get started!
- White Burger Buns
- 1/2 Fennel
- Peppers (mixed colours)
- 225g Block of Halloumi
- 4 Flat White Mushrooms (can also use portobello mushrooms)
- Egg Free Mayonnaise
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Dried Oregano
- Celery Salt
- Olive Oil
- To make the process quicker, start off with the mushrooms, cut out the stalk, cover in olive oil, and season with sea salt and black pepper, and put them in the oven at a medium heat. The process should take around 30 minutes for them to release their moisture, turn them over halfway through the 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling vegetables, slice the fennel into long strips and do the same with the peppers, then in a frying pan on a high heat, fry with olive oil to take off the rawness of the vegetables and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Drain and dry off the halloumi, and slice into medium sized chunks around 5cm big, then fry in the pan at a medium heat until golden brown on either side, try to turn them over only once to avoid the pieces breaking.
- By this point the mushrooms should be ready so take them out of the oven and leave them to rest.
- Next is to make the my special burger sauce, in a bowl squeeze out a good amount of egg free mayonnaise, then add in a generous amount of paprika, a little bit of cayenne pepper for some kick, a dash of lime juice, a good amount of dried oregano, and a bit of sea salt and black pepper along with a pinch of celery salt. Then mix this together until an orange sauce is formed.
- Last thing to do is to toast the inside of the burger buns in the grill and shred the lettuce.
- To serve, start with the bottom bun and spread some of the sauce on it, then some of the fennel and peppers, on top of that a single flat mushroom, a few halloumi pieces on top of that, a bit of lettuce, and then to finish it off, some more sauce on the top bun, and complete the burger. This recipe will comfortably make 4 burgers.
So there might be quite a few little things to make, but they are all relatively simple to make, and so this makes it perfect for when you have friends over or if you just want to stuff yourself and you do not have that much time! I look forward to hearing how you got on with this recipe, and I hope everyone is staying safe in these strange times we live in right now with this pandemic.
See you soon!