A simple white sauce pasta, it is cheesy and while it looks fancy it is not that hard to make at all. This is a perfect midweek meal to make for your friends and family and it will be sure to impress them too! Unfortunately, this is not a vegan friendly recipe unless you can find vegan substitutes for the diary ingredients, but otherwise this a green light for vegetarians. So, without further delay, let us get into this quick and easy recipe!
- 250g of Tagliatelle
- 250g of Double Cream
- 25g of Unsalted Butter
- 1 – 2 tsp of Cornflour
- 100g of Cheese (vegetarian parmesan if possible)
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley (for garnish)
- Firstly, in a large pan cook the pasta in boiling water and be sure to put plenty of salt in the water to season the pasta, the cooking process should only take around 8 minutes but cook until al dente.
- In a smaller pan on a low heat combine the double cream, unsalted butter and cornflour and mix well, once combined and simmering take this off the heat and keep warm.
- Drain the pasta and keep some of the pasta water, around 100ml should be enough.
- Then chop up from fresh basil leaves, grate around half a nutmeg and add a generous amount of black pepper to the sauce mixture and combine. Once this is mixed, add in the cheese as well and mix until all of it has melted into the sauce, in this instance I used a mix of 80g of mild cheddar and 20g of extra mature cheese, so feel free to mix it up.
- Finally, all that is left is to add the pasta and the leftover pasta water to the sauce and mix all of this together, the sauce may look very glossy and thin but in a few minutes it will thicken.
- To serve add a fresh sprig of parsley and a fresh grating of your cheese of choice or vegetarian parmesan if you have it, finally of course, enjoy!
There we go, that is all there is to it, and of course with every recipe you can experiment a little bit such as adding in some chilli flakes with the basil to spice it up, the choice is really yours! I hope you thoroughly enjoy this quick and easy vegetarian recipe and I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
See you soon!